Saturday, November 06, 2010

MODKID " Penny" Pattern Review by Crafty Mama

The very groovy new patterns from MODKID arrived this week...and are  quickly selling out, so don't dilly dally! I did manage to grab a PENNY for myself, and I LOVE it! MODKID patterns are the work of the very talented Patty Young. You can see the range HERE at Crafty Mamas.

Patty is well known for her amazing fabrics collections, including the recent interlock knits ( yep, we have them! Check them out HERE like...


Here's my review of PENNY, I made this for Bon, age 10.

MODKID patterns are printed on lovely thick paper with the sizing clearly indicated. The instructions are encompassed in a cool little booklet, they are very clear and easy to follow. Patty has included help on selecting the best size for hard to fit kids, too. As Penny is for knits, there is a lot of great info given for first time knit sewers. You are guided through construction step by step then shown some cool variations to try at the end as well as some beautiful examples in the inspiration gallery.


PENNY consists of 3 main pieces- love that! It can be made in different lengths, with empire waist, as a skirt/dress/tunik. With short sleeves, long sleeves or contrasting sleeves. Really, the combos here are endless.


PENNY goes together like a dream, quickly and easily, making it an ideal beginners pattern. It is suited to stretch knits only, ( heaps in the Crafty Mamas shop to choose from). I have used a Flap Happy knit from my stash that Bon fell in love with last year.













I used pastel pink STELLA on the neckline, and rolled hem on the sleeves and hem. The sewing up took about 30 minutes, love that!  I found PENNY to be quite generous in sizing, but then Bon is tall and slim.

I am about to go raid the Crafty Mamas shop for fabrics to make up a few more!

The verdict? MODKID Penny is the new Go-To dress pattern!

Adding another..just to prove I have not been resting on my laurels..( what are laurels, anyway?).

Empire waist version with short sleeves. Michael Miller knits and aqua from my stash.




1 comment:

Ingrid said...

These are gorgeous!

About Me

Crafty Mamas SHOP blog. Aussie agent for Farbenmix, Studio Tantrum, Stenzo fabric, Ottobre design. Stocking Hilco fabric, Mamu design and other cool stuff!